Monday, May 12, 2008

Cap it off

I'm sorry to have to report that I was unable to take a proper picture of this: there I was, minding my own business outside Wellcome supermarket in Stanley on a warm Monday evening on the Buddha's Birthday public holiday, when the following abomination caught my eye: a dog in a cap. The dog darted off, presumably as soon as he realised I was trying to take a picture: and quite right too; I have never seen anything so risible and downright unnecessary.

Mercifully, but also even more starkly, the poor little devil didn't have any other accessories, like the Man United football shirt (GIGGS 11, I believe it was - what, the dog not only supports a team, but has his favourite player too?) that I saw on a sheepish dog in Mid-Levels. No, he was wearing a little peaked cap that fastened under his chin. And to add insult, surely, to injury, this was fixed out of camouflage material.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a moronic couple "exercising" their dog on Stanley beach. This involved taking the tightly leashed dog out beyond its comfortable foot-on-the-sand depth and holding it there, on the leash, while the poor mite (and it was a Staffordshire bull terrier, a dog for which I have never held any brief, since it was a little rat-catching dog like that which ate my gerbils) struggled to keep its head above water to avoid drowning, while the owners looked on, laughing and supremely satisfied, no doubt, that they were doing even more than their duty as dog-owners by giving him some strenuous exercise.

This and other aberrations, such as the St Bernard fiasco described below, are enough to indicate that some people should never be allowed to own a pet. How long before the news of the St Bernard Rebellion spreads throughout the ill-treated, mocked and cooped-up canine community of Hong Kong and we have another "The Birds" situation on our hands?

3 comments:

Claire said...

It wasn't Auntie Anne with the dog with the cap was it? I wouldn't put it past her, although she would probably have help to walk her dogs. You know how they talk about a face only a mother could love. Some people have a personality only a dog could love, and even a dog might find it challenging at times. Miow. (If it wasn't Auntie Anne it was probably Marie Wilson.)

LottieP said...

Auntie Anne would put her dog in Swarovski jewels, paid for on the proceeds of Grandad's house.

LottieP said...

Today's sighting: a dog pram. Woe is me, I didn't get a picture. But yes, it was a double decker dog pram, with space for the little furry fiend's dog accessories in the bottom rack.