Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fuschia perfect




From the ridiculous (the Moschino doggie bag, below) to the sublime: when I was 15 I was wanted to be Fuschia, a character in Titus Groan, the first book in Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy. Perhaps as a result, I've always loved the colour. The Greek lines of this Donna Karan dress are perfect. I found sky-high python Alexander McQueens to pair with it, but they were too avant garde and would distract from the simplicity of the shape; these are Nicholas Kirkwood. Beautiful silver earrings by Lara Bohinc; all from the fabulous Browns website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Fuchsia was leaning on her window sill and staring out over the rough roofs below her. Her crimson dress burned with the peculiar red more often found in paintings than in nature."
Thanks for the blog - I love it.

LottieP said...

Thanks for your kind comment, Peter, which has had the, no doubt unintended, effect of making me realise I've spelt Fuchsia wrong.

Anonymous said...

As someone who clothes her thoughts with care -- your sentences come well shod, so to speak -- you may have fallen short of your own standards with that spelling of Fuchsia, but in doing so you joined the best company. Peake spelled her name that way all the time he was writing Titus Groan. Only when reading the book in proof did a friend spot it and correct it for him.
Peake's parents got married in Hong Kong, you know, on 31st December 1903. Isn't that just 100 years before you arrived there?

LottieP said...

It's reassuring to know that I'm in good company, but it now makes the revisionist dilemma all the more difficult.

I arrived on January 3, so 100 years and three days. What a peculiar coincidence.